Friday, June 6, 2014

Close to the end of our adventure

So I'm actually in my 37 week of pregnancy now and also on maternity leave.  Statutory leave is required to start at least 2 weeks before your due date.  My leave also signifies the end of working in my office in Ireland since I will be going back to the US after my leave.  Overall it was a great experience.  Definitely had some challenges in the beginning.  I would say it took me almost a year to really settle in and feel comfortable in my role.  Even though I was with the same firm, things are still done differently here and systems are not the same. It kept me on my toes and I learned a tremendous amount.  It was also a humbling experience.  I was used to how things were done in the US and also was an expert in my industry.  However, coming to Ireland, working in a different industry and being completely new was a bit unnerving.  Especially for someone like me who likes to be prepared and one step ahead.  It was a good change however, and I was ready for a change and a challenge in my job.  I will be going back to my same office in the US and that was always part of the arrangement.  I am going to miss the office here and the friends that I have made.  Its funny how people tell you how much they appreciate you when you are leaving but not necessarily when you are there day to day.

What I really loved about living in Ireland for these almost 2 years would be:

1. Being able to walk to work - 15-20 minutes tops!  You can't beat that!
2. Being able to walk anywhere - I live in the city centre so I am close to shops, grocery stores, parks, tourist attractions, train stations, buses, etc.  Dublin is a very walkable city and most of the attractions are within walking distance.
3. Having my family being outdoors most of the time - so, a recurring theme here, but we all definitely spend time outdoors a lot here.  The weather is not extreme so being outside is usually comfortable.  Yes ofcourse it rains but it usually passes quickly. I like that Connor can play outside and has access to many different parks.
4. Food here does not have as many preservatives or artificial flavours - people here are more conscious of preservatives and all of those additives in foods.  Makes me feel more healthy.
5. Learning about the Irish people - people here are nice and talkative.  I would say they are very talkative but it does take time to really get to know them and find out personal information.  Its been really awesome to learn about the culture here, Irish phrases and just how things work here.  People are really close to their families here, and might not always be by choice, but I like that there is a support system here and there is always family near by to help you.  The most someone would have to travel to get to their family home is around 3 hours.  Holidays are normally spent with your family.  Even if married, people tend to go to their respective families for the holidays.  That changes once you have kids.
6.  Easy access to travel - my travelling slowed down once I was pregnant but I would say I travelled a lot during my first year and a half here.  We were able to see the majority of the cities we wanted to see in Europe and Ireland.  It was one of the reasons why we wanted to live abroad in Europe and we took full advantage.  As an American citizen you are able to travel easily around Europe and not have to deal with getting a visa, etc.

I really enjoyed living in Ireland and I am glad we were able to live in a country that spoke English.  It made things so much easier for us.  I'm also glad I am not in London as that city is huge and I would probably get annoyed with how crowded the city is and dealing with all the tourist.  No offense, but I do have to say that tourists are the worst at walking - they always take up the entire sidewalk, walk aimlessly around, stop abruptly, walk really really slow, and are oblivious and a bit rude.  At least in Dublin the city is not too crowded and its pretty laid back. You just need to know where to avoid as places like Temple Bar are full of tourists, but locals wouldn't normally hang out there.

The maternity care here is much more relaxed than the US.  I am Semi-Private and see the same consultant every time.  However, they schedule everyone at the same time and that can mean a long line and wait.  Even so, the doctors here don't seem to make a big deal about anything and are usually on the ball when there is an issue.  At each visit they will take my blood pressure, urine sample and listen to the baby's heart beat or do a quick scan.  They ask how I am doing and that's pretty much it.  They will take my blood once in a while and check that.  They haven't taken my weight since my first appointment, I didn't get a glucose test, and no cervical checks.  I like that all of my GP visits are free and my consultant visits would be free also if I was public.  I chose semi private so that I could get a semi private room (you share with less people) and see a consultant.

Its crazy how quickly the time has flown by.  It is almost 2 years now since we first arrived on July 1, 2012.  I definitely recommend this experience to anyone with this opportunity.  It was hard doing it with a child, but still well worth it.

3 comments:

  1. What was the apartment name? We are moving to Dublin for 2 years

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have a toddler and will want to live in the center and find a daycare close by. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    My name is Natalie Sullivan and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Ireland and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The expats on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. They must also speak English fluently and can be buyers or renters for their homes. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 646.862.2188 or skype me at natalieesullivan. You can also email me at nataliesullivan@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete