Friday, January 10, 2014

Grocery things I miss

There are loads of things that I can't get here that I can normally get in the states when I go grocery shopping. It's understandable and I expect it. However, now that I am pregnant I'm a bit peeved I can't get the following items I am craving here..

1. Any fruit flavor cream cheese (strawberry, blueberry) - had the biggest craving for a bagel with strawberry cream cheese and couldn't find any fruit type cream cheese. The bagel shops also only have the plain cream cheese. Very disappointing!

2. Cooking wines - looked everywhere for Madeira cooking wine and could not find any. To tell you the truth, I haven't seen any sort of cooking wines, sherries.

3. Fruit flavor cereals like fruit loops or trix - probably due to their high sugar content and additives, but still, a craving is a craving.

I'm sure if I went to a high priced gourmet shop I could probably find some items but I really am most disappointed about the cream cheese.

5 comments:

  1. I have seen strawberry cream cheese at the Aldi and I think also at SuperValu in Churchtown near us and I just saw Apple Jax at Fallon and Byrne last week. I could grab you some cream cheese next time I go, and we could meet up. I've been pregnant four times. So I understand the cravings! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's very sweet. Thank you for offering! My cravings are always changing! Now it is chocolate cookies which are plentiful here thankfully!

      Delete
  2. Have you considered joining the American Womens' Club of Dublin. They have a fantastic mom's group that you would enjoy on your maternity leave. I saw that you were looking for a mom's group when you first came to Dublin. If you are interested, let me know and I'd be happy to bring you as a guest. It's a nice mix of ladies married to Irish men or ladies who are here for shorter term due to work or spouses. The ladies are very friendly and are great resources. It's also a great way to get baby stuff passed down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, I did look into joining the American Women's Club before I came over. I think when I came it was over the summer and there were no meetings. With work I never made it to any meetings. Are there moms groups that you go to with the AWC? When are the meetings or group meetings?

      Delete
    2. Hi! Sorry for taking so long to respond! I haven't gotten back on my computer in ages. The AWCD meets once a month on the second Thursday from about 10-12noon at the St Stephen's Green Hibernian Club. The mom and kids group meets every Monday at different places and it is fabulous. There is a lot of support and a great place to ask questions and compare experiences. There are also lots of other activities in the evening during the week which is a great way to meet new people and check out new places. If you are interested in checking a meeting, please let me know and I'd be happy to bring you as a guest. Our last meeting of the membership year is next week Thursday, but the moms group has coffee every Monday except Bank Holidays. Let me know if you'd like to come! I know you work during the day, but maybe it might work when you get closer to your due date?

      Delete